Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Did One

Well I finally did my first weaving on my triangular loom my second cousin gave me Jean Sparks. She is an amazing weaver, and I aspire to be as good as her. I learned so much with this piece. First I need to be a little tighter on my first row. Also at the end I need to weave it around the ends with the over under method. I need to watch out and make sure it is so. Next time I will take it completely off then crochet the edge. It isn't perfect, but I enjoy seeing what I have learned. I am going to make another one to make a square. or maybe 3 more to make a bag. It was fun to make and I did it while I was at work on some down time. This is one resolution I have completed. Last night I cast on to do my swatch for my first pair of socks. I want my first pair to be wearable, so a swatch is a must. The yarn is very pretty, and I want to make sure I do everything I know to do to be able to knit them.
At the top of my blog I write that I love gardening. I've never posted about it, not sure why, but I am going to now. I have a Horticulture Degree from Valencia Community College. I enjoyed going to school there. After I received my degree I went to the Landscape Department. I got to plant tons of flowers, trees, and shrubs. I also maintained them. It was so much fun. I left the department because I decided to home school my son and the hours at work were from 3am till 12:30 pm. I would've been too tired to teach him. This is why I went back to Entertainment. I am a casual which means I generally don't work 40 hours a week. This schedule has worked out for me so far, and Austin has blossomed as a student. Our family went to Sea World yesterday and I saw some hanging baskets that were very pretty and easy to maintain.
This is a basket full of geraniums. They planted two different colored geranium plants in the basket. This size basket I would only plant 2 (6 inch) pots in it. I would only water it once the soil has lost its moisture. They don't like wet feet, or for the soil to be wet all the time. I would used a liquid miracle grow once a month. If you pinch or cut off the blooms once they are spent or dead they will flower more. They will produce more flowers if the basket gets more than 6 hours of full sun.

This is a basket of Begonias. They are very pretty as well, and do well in baskets. You could plant 3 or 4 (4 inch) pots of these in a triangle or square in the basket near the edge of the basket. They will do very well in shade or full sun.
This is a basket of Petunias. They look best when you dead head them, or cut off the dead blooms. It will also help them to bloom more and have more foliage. You can plant them, 4 (4 inch) pots in different colors, or the same. They also don't like to stay too wet. They will bloom better in full sun. I like how they hang out of the pot. If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I hope you enjoyed the flowers.
I just received a book called " A Weaver's Garden Growing Plants For Natural Dyes and Fibers" By Rita Buchanan I don't know why I didn't put the two together before. I love plants, I love yarn/ fiber. I can put the two together and bring my passions in life together. I can grow my own fiber, grow my own dye, then spin it up, and knit, crochet or weave with it. How exciting this year will be. I am going to do some research and plan for my fiber garden. I will let you know how it is coming along.


4 comments:

Ria said...

I do mostly veggies in my container garden. I wish I had room for a real one.

April Dawn said...

I'm very novice to sock knitting. I have 2.1 pairs cast on. My flyfishing for my MIL, who I've kind of given up on because the yarn doesn't agree with me. My pair that I'm uploading pics for right now and another pair I can't talk about yet. One thing I've learned the hard way is to make sure you knit them smaller than your feet. They need negative ease! I cast on 70 and I really should have cast on 60. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!

Unknown said...

How has your goal of keeping your house clean been going?One week down, only 2 and a half to go!

xoxo
Emma

Lupie said...

Weaving is something I have always wanted to do.
The plants make me wish Spring would come. I am over the snow and cold!